Fresh Pumpkin Puree

“Autumn…the year’s last, loveliest smile.” ―William Cullen Bryant

Today as I sit down to write, I find myself unable to focus on the here and now, the present tense.

Roast your pumpkin for a  fresh pumpkin puree that adds great flavor and freshness to all your fall treats.Fond memories of fall, times past with my children, spring up, flood over me and serve to remind me that my babies are grown and gone. Nostalgia creeps up, its arrow bulls-eyes right to the heart, and I am undone.

I remember fall picnics, sharing peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, watching childish antics and hearing silly stories of great adventures, out beneath the large oak tree.

There were magical times spent tromping through the apple trees, climbing up and down ladders and scurrying here and there, always at full speed, searching for the “bestest and most perfect apple”.

Excursions were also frequent to the local Bates Nut Farm, where the kids and I would go pumpkin hunting through the pumpkin patch, buy hot dogs, and afterwards, feed the goats.

My daughter carried her “blankie” with her everywhere she went and the petting zoo was no exception.  I spent many afternoons, retrieving her blanket from some hungry goats mouth, as she toddled  about squealing with joy and excitement to “touch the pretties.”

Memories are precious, wonderful things, even if they make us a bit sad.

So, after walking down this little pathway of memory lane, I tuck them away for now, and look again at the present and give thanks.  I recognize the wonderful part about life is the ability to make new memories.Roast your pumpkin for a  fresh pumpkin puree that adds great flavor and freshness to all your fall treats.

Memories of a little boy who enjoys warm maple syrup on his pancakes and can barely sit still to eat them, in anticipation of his monthly trip to the dump with grandpa. Tucked away are moments to treasure, of our grandson, lugging a pumpkin up the stairs from our pumpkin patch, exclaiming, “look grandma, it is just my size”.

How to Roast Pumpkin Seeds: Don’t waste those precious pumpkin seeds, roast them instead

Pumpkin Seeds with Cajun Seasoning: Don’t waste those precious pumpkin seeds, roast them instead.

Always one more memory on the horizon, waiting to embed itself into my life.

Pumpkin Bundt Cake With Whiskey Butter Sauce - Oh My! Moist, filled with great flavor and not too sweet. Just one more itsy bitsy piece, thanks.

Pumpkin Bundt Cake With Whiskey Butter Sauce

This fall, pumpkins along with life abounds. I’m ready for a special treat. How about you?

How to Make Fresh Pumpkin Puree

Pumpkin Bundt Cake With Whiskey Butter Sauce

How to Roast Pumpkin Seeds

Fresh Pumpkin Puree shared with:

*Homestead Lady: Green Thumb Thursday

Comments

I love your Fall pictures. Your pumpkin pictures are beautiful. They are beautiful and makes me so look forward to Fall.

Fall is my favorite time of year not only because of the cooler weather, but the fall foods. I am craving pumpkin everything now. We do eat a lot of pumpkin seeds, but I have been purchasing them from the store lately to put in my homemade granola. I cannot wait to roast them myself. I will have to try lots of different flavors this year. I am sure you will help me out with that.
    Blessings and thanks so much for this beautiful post!
    Diane

Thanks Diane. Every season I am in I absolutely love but I always get excited about the changing of the seasons. Ir won’t be long now. I appreciate you stopping in for a visit. It is always a treat.

Shari, This is the coolest tutorial! I haven’t tried to make my own puree, but I’ll bet it tastes better than the canned by a long shot! Shared, pinned, etc. and on my fb page. Thanks for the beautiful pictures and tutorial. Carrie, A Mother’s Shadow

Thank you Carrie. I love fresh pumpkin puree. I freeze it so I have it all year long. The color is a little lighter but it is real pumpkin. Most of the pumpkin you buy in the store isn’t even pumpkin but Butternut or Hubbard squash!

I love your Fall memories and will say I was just sitting in bed last night thinking and pondering how both my girls are growing up so quickly, especially with Emma starting Kindergarten in a few short weeks. Thinking about this had me feeling a bit down to be honest and found myself even being a bit weepy not just for Fall, but just the years in general. But still, I am happy that they are indeed growing just wish I could slow it down just even a bit. Hugs to you once again today!
    Janine Huldie recently posted…The Pin It Party – Week 64My Profile

4. Jill Closson says

Hi Shari,

I honestly have never blogged or followed a blog and could not figure out how to leave a comment from my iPhone about how the soup turned out.

Um…it was a thing of beauty. Lol Seriously!! I sent some home with my best friend when she dropped my daughter off Thursday night and she and her brother texted me the next day going nuts over the soup!

I used the following recipe except I smoked the pumpkin for an hour on my Traeger grill and I used smoked Gouda. I also didn’t have shallots. I just used yellow onion. It was incredible and I have a bad cold and that just made it extra perfect to eat for dinner!

I do follow you on Pinterest and I love your posts and your farm is just beautiful! My ex husband (daughter’s dad) and his family are dry land wheat farmers and I love and miss farm life. My husband now is a city boy to the core but we both love to cook. Keep the wonderful recipes coming!

Oh and by the way…for my in-laws’ 40th anniversary we bought them a Traeger style grill in a different brand because you can get way more grill for your money. And it works beautifully. Just a tip! They are really great tools. I love that they are also a convection oven. I don’t have to heat up the house during the summer! Anyway…take care lovely lady!! :-)

Jillian C.
    Pasco, WA

Hi Jillian,

Thank you so much for the lovely letter. I am definitely going to give that soup a try, it sounds delicious.

Blogging is fairly new to me as well and the ins and outs can be sometimes quite confusing. Do you mind if I copy your lovely letter and post it in the comment section? It would be great if everyone had access to the pumpkin Gouda soup recipe too!

In future if you want to comment (which I would absolutely love because I get to know you better that way), under the title of my post there is usually my name and a little comment bubble opposite my name. If you click on that bubble it will take you to a comment section.

I may in future have to look into making the comment section more obvious. I have fell in love the way my blog flows, so I am hesitating to change it right now.

Have a wonderful weekend. And thank you again so much for such a lovely letter.