Home Style Potato Salad
Trader Joe’s recently moved into the neighborhood and I am beside myself excited. When I first moved to Boise several years ago, I loved everything about it. The mountains, rivers and streams are picture perfect and the city itself has a wonderful natural granola feel to it. I cannot deny, I fit right in.
Coming from California where traffic, congestion, and smog was the rule of the day, I only had a small inkling of how freeing living in such a place could be. I’m not saying that Boise is perfect, it has it faults just like most places do. For instance, the winters in the mountains where our home is located are cold and long. Spring, one of my favorite seasons, tends to be the shortest of all the seasons. We can go from 30 degrees to 80 degrees in only a few weeks, making spring planting difficult at best.
My biggest disappointment in Boise, however, by far, was in discovering the dismal fact the nearest Trader Joe’s was 400 miles away! I found other health food stores, and farmer’s markets galore, but it wasn’t the same. There is something about Trader Joe’s that resonates with me. I enjoy finding unique items there I would be hard pressed to find anywhere else, and the prices are affordable. So, when Trader Joe’s finally moved in to town, it was a really big deal.
My latest find, Trader Joe’s South African Smoke Seasoning Blend has quickly become my “go to” seasoning. I first tasted it on a spicy jalapeno coleslaw and I was instantly enamored. The slowly smoked paprika, sea salt, garlic and basil mixture adds an interesting character and depth of flavor to whatever I am cooking up. I couldn’t wait to try my hand at creating a potato salad to feature our incredible Idaho potatoes and this delicious spice…the results are amazing!
Home Style Potato Salad is a creamy delight. Idaho potatoes, fresh dill, pepperoncini and South African Smoke Seasoning Blendhelp to give a familiar yet uniquely flavorful fresh take on this all-time favorite.
- 2 Large Idaho white potatoes, cleaned, cut and quartered
- 5 medium Idaho red potatoes, cleaned, cut and quartered
- 5 fresh eggs, rinsed
- ¼ cup pickled pepperoncini, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- ½ medium white onion, finely diced
- 1 dill pickle, diced
- 1 tbsp fresh dill, finely diced
- ½ cup mayonaise
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tbsp dill pickle juice
- 1 tbsp South African Smoke Seasoning, (may substitute 1½ tsp paprika, ¼ tsp garlic salt, ¼ tsp basil)
- Fresh ground black pepper, a few grinds
- 2-3 tsp sea salt, to taste
- Place potatoes in large pan ,fill pan with water to cover potatoes,bring to a low boil on medium high heat.
- After potatoes have boiled for 10 minutes add eggs to pan.
- Cook potatoes until fork tender. (about 25 minutes total).
- Drain potatoes and eggs, and run cold water over them to cool and to stop the cooking process. Drain well.
- Remove skins from white potatoes, leaving red potato skins intact.Place potatoes in a bowl and chill for 30 minutes.
- Peel eggs immediately to facilitate easier removal of shells. Cover and refrigerate.
- Meanwhile, In a small bowl, stir together Mayonnaise, sour cream, dill pickle juice and seasonings. Chill.
- After potatoes have chilled, chop and place into large bowl.
- Add diced pepperoncini, celery, onions,dill pickle and fresh dill to potatoes. Lightly toss to mix.
- Pour dressing over potato mixture and mix well.
- Chop or slice eggs and lightly stir into potato salad.
- Chill salad for at least 30 minutes to allow flavors to blend for best results (if you can stand to wait that long).
Home Style Potato Salad shared with:
Yesterfood: Summer BBQ Party