How to Freeze Rhubarb in 3 Easy Steps

I searched the internet this morning for a rhubarb quote, determined to find something suitable to set off today’s post on how to freeze rhubarb. I mean really folks, a little inspiration here please. This is rhubarb we are talking about. I was easily supplied with the basics of Rhubarb via google…

rhu-barb   /ˈro͞oˌbärb/  noun

1. the thick leaf stalks of a cultivated plant of the dock family, which are reddish or green and eaten as a fruit after cooking.
  2. the large-leaved Eurasian plant that produces rhubarb.

Now don’t you feel informed?  But nowhere else does anyone have much to say about this good old tasty fruit.

How to Freeze Rhubarb in 3 Easy Steps Determined not to let this obstacle stand in my way, I made a feeble attempt at an ode to the Rhubarb…and sorry to say, failed miserably.

Poor neglected rhubarb. I would like to lift your spirits my little tart fruit and elevate your stature with all my heart, but alas, I am forced to leave my readers with a quote from the movie Batman, of all things. Spoken to Bruce Wayne by the Joker and referring to his relationship with Vicki Vale.

Never rub another man’s rhubarb! – The Joker

I feel your shame rhubarb, I feel your shame.

How to Freeze Rhubarb in 3 Easy Steps

How to Freeze Rhubarb in 3 Easy Steps

• Fresh rhubarb stalks
  1. Remove leafy stems from rhubarb, rinse well and pat dry. Cut rhubarb on diagonal in 1" to 1½" slices.
  2. Place rhubarb on parchment lined baking sheet, spaced without touching.Freeze until firm.
  3. Remove from freezer, place rhubarb in heavy duty freezer bag. Label and date, and return to freezer.

Comments

Didn’t Monty Python do a Rhubarb tart song or something? (Is Monty Python just a very English thing I don’t know?)
    I’ve always part stewed rhubarb then frozen that, I’ve never tried it your way – next time I’ll give it a whirl.
    I always mean to make a crumble or pie when I defrost it later and always seem to end up just eating it as it is, warmed up with a dollop of custard, or cream or a drizzle of maple syrup – my mouth is watering at the thought!

Ha! I love Monty Python and am sure I have a collection of movies on VHS (dating myself, I know) around the house somewhere!

What I love about the quick method of freezing rhubarb is how simple it is and I can use it in whatever recipe fresh rhubarb is called for. Though your stewed rhubarb idea sounds pretty darn tempting, especially with the drizzle of maple syrup. Yum!

Hi Kelly. It has been my experience that Rhubarb does not change color after thawing. In fairness, I must say that I usually use the frozen rhubarb for strawberry rhubarb pie or jam so this may be why I don’t notice any color change. The pies and Jam from the frozen rhubarb are bright and beautiful. Hope this helps.

2. Jean G says

Definitely going to try your strawberry rhubarb upside down cake. We love rhubarb but it is hard to find here in eastern Virginia. When we do find it, the cashiers have little or no idea what it is

Do not remember what year I started my rhubarb, but this year I have 4 or 5 nice looking plants. A WORD OF CAUTION! – – – the leaves are NOT edible – – – toxic? poisonous?

As I pull the stalks, I pull the leaves off and throw them on the ground around the plants – to keep weeds at bay.

Just ate a bit of my first rhubarb pie of the year :-)

Neat and easy, I don’t suppose it could get much simpler than that. Thanks for the post.
    I’d appreciate your opinion on a question that’s been in the back of my mind (that I haven’t bothered to research yet)… What’s the ideal time to harvest rhubarb stalks? Do you just let them get to a decent size and then they’re ready to go? Are they too tough and woody after a while? Well, I guess that was more than one question.

Hi Lon, Thanks for writing. Rhubarb can be harvested after the stalks are about 0.5″ to 1″ wide,firm and have an even maroon, purplish, or green color, depending on the type. It’s important to not over harvest the first few years to give the rhubarb plant a chance to develop strong and healthy for subsequent years. Late spring and early summer is the best time to harvest, as in late summer and early fall, stalks become tough and woody. Hope this helps :)