Preserve the Harvest Series: Blackberries and Canning Homemade Blackberry Syrup

Preserve the Harvest: Let's Talk Blackberries and Canning Homemade Blackberry Syrup

PRESERVE THE HARVEST SERIES & CANNING HOMEMADE BLACKBERRY SYRUP

Preserve the Harvest Series presents a new fruit or vegetable every Tuesday with the goal of helping you get the most out of fresh fruits and vegetables harvested during peak season. Whether you grow your own fruits and vegetables, buy them at the Farmer’s Market or your local grocery store, it is good to remember the best time to preserve your bounty is when it is plentiful. Preserving the harvest stocks your pantry shelves and freezer with whole foods that you can feel good about, foods that taste great, and this approach saves you money.  A sane approach to sustainability! Next up…Blackberries & Canning Homemade Blackberry Syrup

LET’S TALK BLACKBERRIES

Blackberries are bramble fruits and grow on thorny canes or what some may call sticker bushes. Thornless blackberry bushes are available, but the thornless variety can still have small thorns that cause damage . It’s a good idea to wear gloves for protection when working with the canes. While blackberries are easy to grow, it is important to keep a good eye on the developing canes. If left to themselves they can quickly take over an area. Blackberries like lots of sun, soil with good drainage, and plenty of water, especially when fruiting.  Treat your plants well and they will give you many years of productive growing seasons.

See the following links for more information on planting, growing and pruning blackberries.

Planting: Planting Blackberries: The National Gardening Association

Pruning: Blackberry Pruning – How To Trim Blackberry Bushes: Gardening Know How

HARVESTING, CARE AND STORAGE OF BLACKBERRIES

Berries ripen over a period of several weeks and once they begin to ripen will need to be picked every 2-4 days. Bird netting can be purchased to cover your berries if you are having an issue with birds eating your crop and don’t want to share. Pick berries early in the morning in the cool of the day. Refrigerate immediately and rinse berries only right before using.  Refrigerated berries will keep for up to 5 days.

Blackberries may be frozen with great results. To freeze, rinse berries lightly and place on paper towel to soak up extra moisture. Arrange blackberries on a baking sheet in single layer and  place in the freezer until frozen solid. Once frozen, remove berries and place in heavy duty freezer bag or use vacuum sealer. Frozen berries can be stored up to a year.

CANNING HOMEMADE BLACKBERRY SYRUP

Today’s recipe is adapted from one of my favorite berry cookbooks; The Berry Bible By Janie Hibler. The Berry Bible has 175 recipes that use every berry imaginable. I love the fact that she includes recipes for wild, fresh and frozen berries. If you enjoy making recipes with berries you should check this one out. I increased the amount of fruit suggested and decreased the sugar. To make the syrup a little thicker I simply cook it a little longer. I also left out the butter and baking soda in her recipe. It always makes me a bit nervous to use fats when using a water bath method for canning.

For many years I resisted making fruit syrups. I couldn’t see the benefit since I don’t like fruit syrup on my pancakes. I missed out. There are so many ways to use this delicious syrup. I like to make mine a little bit on the thick side making it useful for so many things. Spoon homemade canned blackberry syrup over ice cream or use to brighten up a salad dressing. The recipe also works well as a glaze on ham or poultry.  Think outside the box and you will be amazed at the versatility of this syrup.

SUPPLIES YOU WILL NEED

• Water Bath Canner
  • Quart Jars with Lids and Bands – Just the right size for 1 pie.
  • Utensil Set  – Not absolutely necessary, but makes the job of canning a whole lot easier.
  • Large non- reactive pot
  • Food Mill or  Juicer  – I have a food mill and a juicer. Each have their pro’s and con’s. My Omega juicer does do a great job at getting all the seeds out and removing the pulp with little waste, but I have to clean it a few times while juicing. The hand cranked food mill works well too, but with a little more waste. It also takes twice as long.

The following recipe is processed using a water bath canning process. If you have never canned before or need a refresher the National Center for Home Food Preservation is the gold standard of information. I would encourage you to head over and read their general canning information.

Homemade Blackberry Syrup

Recipe makes 4 8oz jars syrup.
  • ¼ cup fresh lemon Juice (about 2 medium sized lemons)
  • 6-7 cups of fresh blackberries, rinsed and drained, pureed and seeded. Amount of puree should equal 3 cups.
  • 1 box (1.75 ounce) powdered pectin
  • 2½ cups sugar
  1. Pour blackberry puree and lemon juice into a large nonreactive pan.
  2. Add pectin and mix thoroughly.
  3. Place the pan over medium high heat and bring to a full boil, stirring constantly.
  4. Add sugar, mix thoroughly and simmer until syrup is slightly thickened (about 5 minutes).
  5. Remove from heat, fill sterilized 8 oz canning jars leaving ½ inch headspace.
  6. Wipe rim of canning jar and apply lid and band.
  7. Process in hot water bath for 10 - 15 minutes depending on elevation.

Homemade Blackberry Syrup shared with:

*Savvy Southern Style: Wow us Wednesday *Dizzy, Busy and Hungry: Wine’d Down Wednesdays *Crafty Allie: Worthwhile Wednesdays *The Shady Porch: Party on the Porch *Smart School House: Whimsy Wednesday *My Paper craze: Creative Spark *My Crafty Wife: The Wednesday Roundup *Homestead Lady: Green Thumb Thursday *Organized 31:Inspire us Thursday *Living Well Spending Less: Thrifty Thursday *The Deliberate Mom: Shine *Calm Healthy Sexy: Let’s Get Real *Nancherrows: Friday’s Unfolded *Ruffles and Rainboots: Thank Goodness it’s Thursday *Happy and Blessed Home: Family Fun Friday *The Diary of a Real Housewife: Friday Favorites *Kitchen Dreaming: The Weekend Social *A Dish of Daily Life: Foodie Friday’s *Sondra Lyn at Home: Share it Sunday *2 Crochet Hooks: Snickerdoodle Sunday *Baking in Pyjamas: Sweet and Savoury *Mrs Tee Love Life Laughter: The Mommy Monday Blog Hop *Create With Joy: Inspire Me Monday *Bloggers Brags: Pinterest Party *Plucky’s Second Thoughts * 21st Century Housewife: Hearth and Soul Hop *It’s a Ginger Snap: Motivate Me Monday *Yesterfood: Treasure Box Tuesday *Craving Some Creativity: Turn It Up Tuesday * An Extraordinary Day: Craft Room Makeover *Lou Lou Girls: Lou Lou Girls *Our Table For Seven: Share Your Stuff Tuesday’s * Mandy’s Recipe Box: Totally Talented Tuesday’s *Designed by BH:Twirl and Take a Bow *Creative K Kids: Tasty Tuesday’s

Comments

1. Dawn Hembree says

Love this recipe! Others call for a ton of sugar and this recipe really lets the natural blackberry taste stand out! It’s awesome on pancakes & waffles! I also don’t seed mine. I cook down then run it through the blender and then jar/process. Thanks for the recipe!

2. Kim says

I actually tried this recipe tonight, but my syrup is turning into jelly….What did I do wrong?

Hi Kim.
      In answer to your question, blackberries have a lot of natural pectin in them. Heating the syrup to high will cause the syrup to jell. Try keeping the temperature below 218 degrees and see if that helps. Cutting back on the sugar may be helpful as well. Hope this helps.

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. I have been working long hours and am only catching up on the weekends as I am able. Cooking without pectin will increase your cooking time. It all depends on the water content of your berries. Slow simmering until the syrup begins to thicken and sheet off the spoon. I hope this helps.

Thank you Denise. This week I am on vacation so I haven’t had the time to go by and check out all the parties. I am hoping for a little downtime this evening. Can’t wait to see all the great links.

Thanks for sharing your recipe with us at Inspire Me Monday at Create With Joy!
    I’m excited to share that you’ll be one of our Featured Guests at this week’s party (Week 136).
    Congrats and have a fabulous weekend! :-)

I have been on the fence about trying my hand at canning! I think this just may have pushed me over :) I am going to invest in a canning kit this weekend. So many fruits are coming in to season in our area I really am missing out! I have pinned and will be visiting your blog often!
    Maureen recently posted…Monthly Grocery Shopping ExperimentMy Profile

It was my pleasure! It has taken a few years for my blackberries to produce. I am finally enjoying the fruits of my labor :) Thanks for stopping by!
      BLessings,

What a great recipe – I am going to have to try this one! Thanks for linking up to the Bloggers Brag Pinterest Party.

You will be glad you did Heather. The process is not as difficult as it may seem and the taste is so fresh. Thank you for taking a moment and stopping by to share.

Me too Nicole. Our Blackberries are already just about played out. Very sad. I can’t bring myself to pay $3.00 for 8 Blackberries in the store so I will have to wait till next season for more. They are always delicious while they last! Thanks for stopping by.

I have put bird netting over everything this year. Even so the sneaky little birds still pecked at my cherries. It is one of those things I have to let go of. What will be will be, but I am a bit greedy and I DON’T like to share! :)
      Thanks for stopping by.

Thank you Elise. When I have had it with canning and I don’t want to even look at a canning jar, all the extras go in the freezer for later. For me there is something about all those beautiful jars lined up in my pantry. Old fashioned I guess, but I can’t help myself. So glad you stopped by.

Your pictures make me need to find blackberries ASAP. Although I’m not sure if I’d be able to stop myself from eating the berries long enough to make the blackberry syrup.

I was out picking again today for tomorrows post and I am so grateful they are right in my backyard. I do admit a few never make it into the pail :) Thanks for stopping in.

I am sorry you have missed out. I am sure there are many wonderful things in the area where you live that you could share with me. Maybe some day :) Thanks for stopping by and taking a moment to share.

Blackberry pie filling is on my list of to do’s. Lately I have been making raspberry juice and canning it because I have so many raspberries. I am hoping I will be able to do the same thing with my blackberries next year. Thank you for stopping by and taking a moment to share.

I have a heritage blackberry plant in a pot right now growing like a weed and I will be planting it in the ground next spring. I can’t WAIT to harvest and do this. Thanks

Shari, I LOVE all the preserving you are doing and how you share it with all of us. This is another recipe I haven’t made, other syrups, but never blackberry. Thank you for sharing all the wonderful dishes and preserves coming out of your kitchen. Carrie, A Mother’s Shadow

I love blackberry syrup and make it most summers. We can pick fresh blackberries from the Peach Orchard across the street, BUT you blackberries are HUGE AND AMAZING! Your blackberry syrup sounds wonderful too. It would be so good on everything. I love it over pound cake, pancakes, ice cream, biscuits, and more. YUM!

Diane
    stumbled, pinned, tweeted!

The berries are huge this year and oh so juicy. I am making a Lemon Pound Cake with a Blackberry Coulis for Thursday’s Post today. So it’s off to the blackberry patch for more blackberries! Thanks for stopping by!

Fortunately they have and they know all this preserved food is just a phone call away! Thanks for stopping by and taking a moment to share.

1. […] Homemade Blackberry Syrup – We had a bumper crop of wild blackberries this year so I was excited to see one of my favorite blackberry recipes highlighted by Shari at Pure Grace Farms. There is nothing like blackberry syrup on pancakes in the middle of winter…to me it is like a taste of summer! […]