Everything you Need to Know about Camping: Part 1 – So you Want to Go Camping?

So You Want to Go Camping?

If you have never tried camping before, the idea of getting outdoors and next to nature can be a little overwhelming. Questions arise quickly… “Where should I go?” “What should I take?”  and “What will I eat?” are just a few that come to mind. Let’s start from the beginning and see if we can get you outdoors and up close and personal to nature. Hopefully after reading a few of these ideas you will be out building a fire, cooking up great meals and leaving all your cares behind in no time flat.

Everything you need to know about camping :Part 1 - So you want to go camping?

What Exactly Is Camping?

Camping is defined by Webster as “a place usually away from urban areas where tents or simple buildings (as cabins) are erected for shelter or for temporary residence.”  Those who camp tend to have strong opinions about camping and will go to great lengths to make sure you know what theirs is. Don’t let that intimidate you. Not everyone enjoys sleeping under the stars or on the hard ground in a tent. RV’ing or renting a cabin still falls under the definition of camping. It is supposed to be fun. The real trick is to find the type of camping that works best for you and for your particular needs. I have found that over the years my needs have changed. Sometimes camping out under the stars was the right way to go, other times nothing less than all the comforts of home were needed and off I went in a cushy, comfy RV.  The point here is that it is all camping and the opportunity to get away. A time to go off the grid, unload your worries and find your happy place.

Let's go camping

Why Should I Go Camping?

Musings of a Northern Girl says it perfectly.  She gives us great reasons why we should go camping. Two of my personal favorites are…

1. No schedule: While camping we eat when we are hungry, go for a walk when we feel the urge, go swimming when we are hot, go to bed when we are tired, get up when we are awake. There is no schedule, no need to do something at a specific time. I don’t have that freedom in my regular days, so really enjoy this when camping.
  2. Campfires: I love the tradition of a nightly campfire. There is something very primeval about sitting around a campfire, watching the flames, feeling their heat, telling stories and smelling that campfire smell.

Let's go camping

Where Should I Go Camping?

Where to go camping comes down to two things; time and money. A week off from work and big plans to see the Grand Canyon is wonderful; hiking the Appalachian trail for months at a time even better (I wish). But, not everyone has the time or resources for such extravagance. A limited amount of either shouldn’t deter you from enjoying some moments in the great outdoors. Tim and I usually only have time for little weekend jaunts. It’s not unusual for us to head off to our favorite spot about 60 minutes away. The state campground is close enough to enjoy a weekend away, but far enough from home to feel like we are escaping for awhile. State campgrounds are usually relatively inexpensive with fees running from the $15.00 to $30.00 range per night. This is a good place to begin your search. In Idaho there are many areas where camping is free. It is minimalistic camping with no real facilities, but their are times when this is preferred to a crowded campsite. Check around about the laws in your area. You may find that the same is true for your state.

Let's go camping

In Summary

What it means to go camping may mean something different to each one of us, but ultimately what’s important is that it works for you. Camping allows you the opportunity to unwind, relax and get away from your day-to-day concerns. You get to build campfires and relationships too! Whether you head to the Grand Canyon or just around the corner depends on the time and money you have to spend. Money and time should not be the deterring factor. So carve out some time, dust off your sleeping bag and make a plan to head out sometime soon. Go and find your happy place.

See More…

Part 2 – 10 Must Haves When Camping

Part 3 –  Let’s Get Cooking

Part 4 – The 5 Essential Tools For Camp Cooking

Everything you Need to Know About Camping: Part 1 shared with:

*Homemaking with Style: Creative Style Linkup *2 Crochet Hooks: Snickerdoodle Sunday *Mrs Tee Love, Life Laughter:The Mommy Monday Blog Hop *Create with Joy: Inspire Me Monday *Oh My Heartsie Girl: Monday’s Reflection *My Pinterventures: Merry Monday’s *Creative K Kids: Bloggers Brag *It’s a Ginger Snap: Motivate me Monday’s *Memories by the Mile: Treasure Box Tuesday *Lou Lou Girls: Lou Lou Girls  *Mandy’s recipe Box: Totally Talented Tuesday’s *Craving Some Creativity: Turn it up Tuesday *Table for Seven: Share Your Stuff Tuesday’s * The Crafty Wife: Wednesday Roundup *The Shady Porch: Party on the Porch *Sweet Haute: Sweet Haute Share Link Party *Lambert’s Lately: Create It Thursday *Momma Lew: The Pin It Party *The Deliberate Mom: Shine Blog Hop *Living Well Spending Less: Thrifty Thursday *Organaized 31: Inspire Us Thursday *Nancherrow Life at our House: Friday’s Unfolded *Happy Blessed Home: Family Fun Friday * Juggling Real Food and Real Life: Let’s Get Real *Create with Joy:Friendship Friday *Love Bakes Good Cakes: Freedom Friday’s The Pin Junkie: Pin Junkie Pin It Party *The Diary of A Real Housewife: Friday Favorites *Captain America and His English Rose: The Pretty Pintastic Party

Comments

I love camping but my husband hates it. Our kids are 6 and 3 so I wouldn’t try camping quite yet but maybe I could convince him in a couple years.

I love campfires too. It’s awesome.

Thanks for sharing (and for linking up to the #SHINEbloghop).

Wishing you a lovely weekend.
    xoxo
    Jennifer | The Deliberate Mom recently posted…SHINE Blog Hop #9My Profile

My former husband disliked camping too! I still wanted to go so we came to a compromise and bought a tent trailer so he would not have to sleep on the ground and their were a few modern conveniences. He rarely went when the kids were young but I learned how to put that trailer up by myself in 5 minutes flat. My kids and I have some wonderful memories. Thanks for stopping by and taking a few moments to share. I greatly appreciate it!

I loved reading this! A lot of conversation has been going on between me and my sisters about what it means to live off the grid, etc. I think for people like me, this could definitely give me a taste of nature that I’ve never had before. :) Thanks for the tips. I live in Arizona. I think I might look into what it would be like to camp around these parts. :) Thanks so much for linking to my blog and for joining us at the Creative Style Linkup! :)
    Brittnei recently posted…Letters to My First Born: 26 MonthsMy Profile

The best and the worst part of camping for me is unplugging. I love it and hate it at the same time at least for the first day. The second day I realize how much I needed the break. Going this week and I can’t wait. Thanks for stopping by. I love your party and all the girls. So encouraging.

Good for you! I have pretty much given up tent camping. Too many achy bones. We have a fifth wheel that I absolutely love. The adult kids and grand kids all pitch their tents around us and it works great for us. Our tradition is homemade baked cookies and milk in the evening while we play games around the table. It gets a little cramped and noisy, but I wouldn’t trade it for anything! Thanks for stopping by and taking a moment to share. Have a wonderful time and start a few traditions of your own.

We are going camping this week too. I am frantically trying to get all my ducks in a row and a few posts scheduled in the que so I wont
      ‘t have to think about it while I am gone. It is so much tougher to get away and unplug when you are a blogger, but once you do it is such sweet relief. Love it! Thanks for stopping by and taking a moment to share.

We did a backyard camp out this summer…does that count…lol. We usually do a school camp out, but it was cancelled this year and we just camped in out backyard for a couple of nights. We do have to look into camping at a real camp ground though. Although, I have to admit that I’m a cabin or RV kind of gal :-)
    Erlene recently posted…Back To School Tech Sweepstakes!My Profile

As I am getting older the hard ground no longer is very appealing. We have taken to camping in a fifth wheel and I absolutely love it. No shame here, all the comforts of home with out waking up with a crick in my neck. Works for me!

How did I miss this terrific post! Very well done with great information, terrific ideas for success and very compelling reasons why to get away. We camped all my growing up years and took the kids all their growing up years too. Looking to go with the grandkiddos. Carrie, A Mother’s Shadow

Camping is a great way for me to reset, refresh and come back swinging. It is my happy place and I am glad my husband and our adult children enjoy my passion. It is a great way to bond and build relationships. Thanks for stopping by and sharing.

We went often when I was a kid and it’s a tradition I want to carry on with my kids. It is def a personal preference experience but everyone should try it at least once. Thank you for linking up to the Bloggers Brags Pinterest Party. I have pinned your post to the Bloggers Brags Pinterest board.
    Carie Spence recently posted…Asian Pear & Berry TartMy Profile

I grew up camping and have camped all over the US and Canada from coast to coast. We had a cross country trip planned when I was pregnant with our 5th little boy (surprise!). My husband left suddenly in the middle of the pregnancy and I (obviously!) couldn’t make that trip 7 months pregnant with four little guys alone so we camped in a tent for a week about 5 hours from our house. It was the best thing we ever did! It gave us strength and courage, renewed our faith and built our sense of oneness that had been ripped from us. Now, I take all FIVE of my guys camping every summer. We can’t afford big fancy hotels, but we will always have a vacation!
    Strahlen recently posted…Parable of the Sower – Seed of Faith in Ex-Spouses & in OurselvesMy Profile

I was a single mom for many years and I know what you are talking about. Those trips were some of my kids most favorite memories. I didn’t realize it until much later how much those times meant to them. Thank you for sharing your precious memories with me. I appreciate you stopping in for a visit.

Thanks Laila! I am glad you had fun on your trip. It makes it a whole lot easier the next time around. Thanks for stopping by and taking a moment to share.

I grew up camping and then it was when we cute pine boughs laid them on the ground then pitched our tent for a good nights sleep. I love every part of camping, the cooking outdoors, the campfires, the streams, fishing, hiking on the mountain, what ever. I spent a lot of time when I was young attending camps too. We took a camping trip from Utah, up through Wyoming across the midewest to Mt Rushmore and the area back there all by camping our way, we actually took a couple off extra days because I was not ready to get home. I surely miss it, my husband now, wants nothing to do with it. I really miss the mountains and streams.
    Karren Haller recently posted…Online Photo Tools To Create Highly Shareable Pinterest PicturesMy Profile

This is one of my favorite summertime activities and something I look forward to when in the cold winter months. Thank you for sharing your memories. I too grew up camping and remember them as some of the best times with family when growing up. Even when things didn’t go smoothly, we all shared the experience together. A great opportunity for bonding and relationships.

You had me at NO PHONE! We really need to go camping. I know it would be great family time.

Thanks for sharing! Stumbled, tweeted, Pinned

I admit sometimes I go through withdrawals when I am unplugged, but it doesn’t take long for me to settle in and appreciate their absence when we head to the high country. :) Thanks for the love!

Ok, I am not a camping person by nature and have to admit growing up in the city myself never really had the desire to go, but I love how you break it down here so simply. Great tips and the Grand Canyon sounds like a wonderful place though to give camping a whirl :)
    Janine Huldie recently posted…Confessions Summer Reading ListMy Profile