Benefits of The Farmers Market: Food For the Soul

What makes the farmers market such a special place is that you’re actually creating community around food. –  Byrant Terry

Farmer’s Market Downtown Ellensburg

Today was my first full day of vacation. I have been excited about getting away and taking a vacation with Tim for months. This summer has been a busy one, filled with planting, harvesting and putting away produce from the garden.

The Farmers Market: Food For the Soul

Hot Baguette’s fresh from the oven.

In addition to all the work in the garden and house I have been going full tilt on the blog, creating recipes in the kitchen and working on my photography. I’m sure you get the picture. A vacation from the hustle and bustle visiting family and friends was just what the doctor ordered.

The Farmers Market: Food For the Soul

A little local color.

So what did I do on my first full day of vacation? Headed to the Farmer’s Market of course!

The Farmers Market: Food For the Soul

Beautiful specimens. Juicy and delicious.

It seems I am unable to stay away from food in one form or another. Today’s post is all about the Farmer’s Market: Food for the soul.

The Farmers Market: Food For the Soul

Apricots in baskets.

The Farmers Market offers a little something for everyone, builds community and is a special destination all in itself.

The Farmers Market: Food For the Soul

Brilliant Hues of Hand Spun Yarn.

It’s a great opportunity to shop local and explore some of the local farmers in your own backyard. Farmers Markets are seasonal.  Usually beginning in late spring and ending with the last vestiges of summer.

The Farmers Market: Food For the Soul

You never know what’s right around the corner.

Entertainment is always right around the next bend, making it a great place to take the whole family.

The Farmers Market: Food For the Soul

Candles made with Beeswax

The market can also be a great place to pick up unusual and beautifully crafted gifts while supporting local businesses within the community. Farmer’s Daughter Handmade Farmhouse Gifts peddling her wares.

The Farmers Market: Food For the Soul

Goats for sale. I see goat cheese and homemade soap in my future.

While fruits and vegetables are some of the main items sold at the Farmers Market. Some have opportunities for purchasing farm animals as well.  Wheels are turning for goats milk soap and cheese.

The Farmers Market: Food For the Soul

Tomatoes the way they should be, not perfect but wholly beautiful.

You won’t find perfect specimens at the Farmers Market like you would in your local grocery store, but you will find fresh tasting, whole food without added chemicals,pesticides and GMO’s. That makes them about perfect to my way of thinking.

The Farmers Market: Food For the Soul Don’t miss out. Make a plan to visit the local Farmer’s Market in your area before they close up shop for the season.

See Farmers Markets: Perspectives from Nourish to read more on the Farmers Market and its vital importance for our communities.

Benefits of the Farmers Market share with:

*Our Simple Life: Happiness is Homemade * Create with Joy: Inspire Me Monday * Creative K Kids: Bloggers Brags *It’s a Ginger Snap: Motivate Me Monday * Plucky’s Second Thoughts *Yesterfood: Treasure Box Tuesday *Craving Some Creativity: Turn It Up Tuesday *Cupcakes and Crinoline: Project Inspired *Lou Lou Girls *Mandy’s Recipe Box: Totally Talented Tuesday’s *Crafty Spices: Wordless Wednesday *Our Table For Seven: Share Your Stuff *Ducks’n a Row:Wonderful Wednesday Blog Hop *Smart School House: Whimsy Wednesday *Little Family Adventure: Let’s Get Real *O Taste and See:Family Fun Friday *Imperfectly Happy: Green Thumb Thursday *Lemoine Family Kitchen: The Wednesday Roundup *A Dish of Daily Life: Foodie Friday’s *Sadie Seasongoods: Snickerdoodle Sunday *It’s Your Life: Real Food Fridays

"Subscribe to the blog"
Receive an update straight to your inbox every time I publish a new article. Your email address will never be shared

Comments

The baguettes really were quite lovely. How wonderful for you that you have access to a Farmer’s Market Daily. I do have the garden here with many of the things I need, but there are a few things at the market I would enjoy having daily access to. I appreciate you stopping in for a visit. Have a wonderful weekend.

I love farmers markets! We have a large Amish community close by and they are always selling pies at the farmers market. Yummy!

Thanks for joining us at Green Thumb Thursday, We’d love to have you link up again this week!

~Lisa M
    Lisa Murano recently posted…Green Thumb ThursdayMy Profile

I lived in PA for 3 months while doing a traveling nurse assignment and I loved going to the Amish Markets. So much good stuff. I picked up a cookbook or two (I usually do everywhere I roam). I am going to have to go and look at them again. This is the perfect time of year for some of those fantastic recipes. Thanks for stopping by.

My favorite thing at our market is a fresh hot croissant. They make them fresh and it is one thing I find a bit too much trouble to make on my own very often. Yum!

I love this post Shari. One of the best parts of switching my family to a real food diet was the discovery of our local farmers market. There is such a sense of community there. I have made friends with many of the vendors and I learn so much from them. I have also fallen in love with “ugly food”. You can get such a deal on food that looks less than perfect and once I’m done with it………you never know that it started as “ugly”. I’m glad you had a good vacation.
    Christina @ Juggling Real Food and Real Life recently posted…Let’s Get Real Friday Party #52My Profile

I love your comment about ugly food. We are so obsessed with perfection; what looks good, so the powers that be push to make everything look good and leave the taste and nutrition far behind. Give me an ugly piece of fruit or vegetable any day of the week that hasn’t been messed with. Kinda like people too :) It is a frustrating fact that we allow someone else to set our standards or what beauty is. Okay, I’m on my soapbox. I will leave it for another day (and another post).

My weekly walk involves visiting the farmer’s market downtown. The only animals they have are the booth owner’s dogs so I’m sure they aren’t for sale LOL Experimenting with new veggies for me by visiting the market.

That is awesome. As I have grown older I have realized how much I missed out by not eating my veggies. Keep on experimenting and pass on a few of those recipes when you get the chance. :)

Your photos are beautiful! I hope you had an amazing vacation. I love our local farmer’s market. I don’t make it over there as much as I like, but I always have a great time when I do. I went weekly when we were introducing my son to purees. I always feel better knowing what goes in my son’s tummy (& mine for that matter!) hasn’t been on a truck for a week. Maybe it’s in my head, but I swear I can taste a difference! Plus I come from a long line of farmers, so I feel the need to shop local when I can! Great post… Can’t wait to work with you in September! Have a great weekend :)
    Caroline recently posted…#100SummerMiles + BETA! {My Training Diary 8.14}My Profile

It is not in your head, there is a difference. The only way the fruit and veggies can be transported is by picking way before the produce is actually ready. Many fruits and veggies spend a little time in a gas type chamber to give them just the right color, all brought about artificially. Taste is not important, it is what everything looks like that matters. So sad.
      I am looking forward to our collaborating as well. But for now I have a few days left of my vacation I need to enjoy! :)

I love the farmer’s market! Sometimes here in CA I can get really good local produce from regular grocery stores, but it’s always nice to get it right from the farmer’s too. I love the idea of supporting them and getting to pick stuff out.
    Julie V. recently posted…BLT PastaMy Profile

We are a lot alike. I too would have headed to the Farmer’s Market. I love taking pictures of all the fruits and vegetables even thought I would not be able to bring home the fruits and vegetables when we are on vacation. The fruit and vegetables in your pictures are so full of color. They are not that colorful in the south. I can tell this area gets a lot of rain.
    Thanks for sharing,

I love Love love this post, Shari!
    I’m a HUGE fan of Farmers’ Markets, and have been for more than a decade.
    There’s nothing like a stroll through your local Farmer’s Market! It’s absolutely one of my favorite things to do!
    Thanks for sharing with us!
    I hope you have a fantastic vacation :0)
    Have a great week,
    Suzanne
    Simply Suzannes at Home recently posted…peach and almond galetteMy Profile

Farmer’s Markets are so fun to stroll through. We have a lovely one in Boise that I like to visit often. Two of my favorite things to do on vacation is the Farmer’s Market and Garage sales. I am hopeless I guess but I love finding unique treasures wherever I go. Thanks for stopping in, we are having a wonderful time.

I love the interactions to be had at the Farmers Market. One gets to see there is a face behind the food we eat. The farmers, ranchers, and artisans are so genuine and eager to share. One of my favorite ways to spend a morning. Thanks for stopping by and sharing.

I’m so jealous you live in Idaho! I’ve always wanted to ski there…unfortunately, we don’t have great farmers markets down in South Florida. We can pick strawberries, but we have to head super far south to find fresh organic produce. Your pictures are droolworthy! Tweeting now!
    Kristen recently posted…Breastfeeding Tips for New MomsMy Profile

Thank you Kristen. Idaho is beautiful country and the skiing is pretty amazing too:) I appreciate you stopping in and tweeting too. Feeling blessed! Have a wonderful day.