This week I find myself in the land of perennial sunshine in Southern California visiting family while staying at my sister’s home; a haven in the countryside. Her home is chock full of memories and beautiful things she has collected over a lifetime. My big sis has been married to the same man for 40 years this August. It’s a joy to sit back and watch the interplay between the two of them, complete with finishing each others sentences. The current of love that runs between the two is quite evident.
I am ashamed to admit that in all this perpetual bliss, my thoughts do not wander to their wonderfully satisfying relationship for long, but scramble off to the garden, fruit orchard and chickens she has skillfully put together in her backyard. I did hold myself back for the first 15 minutes after I arrived to act somewhat interested in how everyone was and how life had been treating them, but inched my way to the backyard as quickly as decorum would allow.
I was amazed to see peaches ripening on the trees, blueberries ripe for the picking, and tomatoes in full bloom. A whole food bloggers paradise. At home my trees are barely budding, and planting tomatoes still a distant dream. I feel like a kid in a candy store and am cooking with abandon.
Today’s recipe is a Spring Quiche with fresh spinach, shallots, goat cheese and roasted asparagus. The combination of fresh vegetables with the salty bite and tang of goat cheese is marvelous. Sprinkle the Spring Quiche with a touch of fresh chopped dill before serving to add an additional layer of flavor; I guarantee it will be sure to leave you smiling!
- Pate Brisee for single pie crust (see below for link to Recipe)
- 1½ cups fresh spinach, chopped roughly
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 10 asparagus spears
- 5 oz goat cheese, plus additional ounce for sprinkling on top of quiche
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt, plus additional for seasoning asparagus
- ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper, plus additional for seasoning asparagus
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup milk (not non-fat)
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped dill
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In large iron skillet heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add shallots to pan and cook until softened and fragrant. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Wipe skillet out with paper towel and set aside to cool.
- Crack eggs into medium sized bowl and whisk to blend.
- Add salt, pepper, hot sauce, cream and milk. Whisk to combine.
- Once skillet has cooled, press Pate Brisee into bottom of pan with edge of crust only slightly coming up side of pan.
- In layers, first spread spinach atop crust, followed by the shallots.
- Sprinkle goat cheese atop shallots (will not cover whole area, space out evenly)
- Pour egg mixture on top of layered vegetables and cheese and poke down spinach into egg mixture so that it is mostly covered.
- Place in 375 degree oven for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, place asparagus on baking sheet, add olive oil, a few sprinkles or sea salt and a grind or two of black pepper and place in the oven along with the quiche to roast(about 15 minutes). Remove from oven.
- Once quiche has cooked for 20 minutes, remove from oven, place asparagus on top of quiche and push down slightly to set in place. Sprinkle quiche with remaining ounce of goat cheese and return to oven until quiche is set in the middle and slightly browned around the edges(about 15 minutes).
- Remove from oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped dill, cut and serve.
Pate Brisee recipe from Martha Stewart. Cut recipe in half or make full recipe and freeze half the dough for another time.
Spring Quiche with Fresh Spinach, Shallots, Asparagus and Goat Cheese Recipe shared with:
My Pinterventures: Merry Monday Linky Party
The Ultimate Linky: Pinterest Linky Party
Cherished Handmade Treasures: Creative Corner Hop
Lou Lou Girls: Lou Lou Girls Linky Party
*Life is Fantasmic: Saturday Dishes