Cardamom, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and black pepper give these cookies a deliciously spicy edge. A recipe I will enjoy making not just at Christmastime but all year long.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp finely ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup molasses
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, spices, pepper and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat butter and brown sugar 2 minutes, until fluffy.
- Beat in egg and molasses until just combined.
- Add flour mixture and beat until just combined.
- Divide dough in half and shape into disks; Wrap tightly in plastic.
- Refrigerate 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove one dough disk from refrigerator.
- Generously flour work surface.
- Roll out dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut out gingerbread men with cookie cutter.
- Place on buttered baking sheets 2 inches apart.
- Refrigerate 15 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees in batches until golden brown, about 14 minutes.
- Cool on wire racks, then decorate, if desired.
- Refrigerating the cookies prior to baking helps to prevent the cookies from spreading.
[ois skin=”pure grace”]
Want to help Support PureGraceFarms? If you have enjoyed my blog and the recipes you find here, one of the ways you can help support Pure Grace Farms is by visiting my affiliate Amazon.com and making a purchase through the link on this site. Amazon pays me a small percentage from your purchases with no additional cost to you, and allows me to continue delivering great recipes and content to this site week after week. Thank you in advance for your support.