I love the simplicity of flavors in this cookie. The cardamom and lemon play well together, giving a wonderful citrus flavor in every bite, and every time I open the container of cookies, the spicy fragrant aroma greets me with the certainty of Christmas.
- 3 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 2 tbsp grated lemon zest
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Place the flour and butter into a food processor and pulse until crumbs are formed ( can use pastry blender or two knives).
- Place flour mixture into mixing bowl and stir in sugar, vanilla, cardamom, lemon zest, and egg.
- Knead together until smooth.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Divide the dough into 24 equal pieces.
- Toll each one into an 8-inch length.
- Place to lengths side by side and overlap to them to form a double rope, then join ends together to form a circle.
- Place on buttered baking sheets. Repeat with the remaining pieces.
- Bake in Preheated oven at 400 degrees for 6 to 7 minutes, or until firm.
- Carefully transfer the wreaths to a wire rack and allow to cool.
- I highly recommend doubling this recipe, the cookies are that good and 12 cookies doesn't seem to last that long in my house. The wreaths puff a bit so 2 baking sheets where the wreaths have ample room to spread will work best. The cookies color when done will be a pale yellow. Don't overcook or they will get quite hard as they cool. If this happens, no worries. pop them in the microwave for 15 seconds before eating and they will be just perfect.
[ois skin=”pure grace”]
Want to help Support PureGraceFarms?
If you have enjoyed my blog and the recipes you find here, one of the ways you can help support Pure Grace Farms is by visiting my affiliate Amazon.com and making a purchase through the link on this site. Amazon pays me a small percentage from your purchases with no additional cost to you, and allows me to continue delivering great recipes and content to this site week after week. Thank you in advance for your support.
Shop Amazon – The Electronics Holiday Gift Guide – Gifts Under $100