“There is nothing more admirable than when two people who see eye to eye keep house as man and wife, confounding their enemies and delighting their friends.” ― The Odyssey
Tim and I are coming up on 5 Years of wedded bliss in just a few short months. I knew right away when I met him, that he would be the one for me. I was very careful not to show it though, because I have not always had the best eyesight when it comes to relationships.
Showing too much too soon was a scary thought to contemplate. Tim on the other hand would say that I did everything I could think of to scare him away. Thankfully, that was not the case. And we are living our dream of happily ever after here at Pure Grace Farms.
No marriage is perfect, and we have our ups and downs just like everyone else. I think the one thing that I can say about our married life is that we have a deep and profound trust for one another. I know he has my back, and he knows I have his. Trust is very important in any kind of relationship we seek to build. “What in the world does this have to do with split pea soup?” you might ask. And I would respond to you by saying ”Not a thing”. I was just looking for quotes and ran across this one by Homer from The Odyssey and I loved it. Thus sending me off on a little tangent about wedded bliss.
So on to Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup. I ran across this recipe searching the web one day for slow cooked meals. I am a huge fan of split pea soup especially on cool fall evenings. The added bonus being the recipe is simple and I am able to throw it all together before I head off to work, making it an easy choice.
I have kept the recipe pretty much intact with only a few minor changes for my own taste. The recipe is gluten free and dairy free and could also be vegan by leaving the ham out and substituting the chicken broth with vegetable broth which I usually do anyway.
If you are looking for a great slow cooker this is the one I always use Hamilton Beach 33967 Set ‘n Forget 6-Quart Programmable Slow Cooker, Silver and have had great success with it. Have you had success with a slow cooker meal, that you tend to rely on as your go to recipe? I would love to hear what you make and why it is you enjoy it. Thanks for visiting, come on back on Saturday. I am sure there will be something good a brewing.
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried green split peas, rinsed
- 1 meaty ham bone, 2 ham hocks or 2 cups diced ham (leave out if you are wanting vegan)
- 1 cup sliced baby carrots
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 ribs celery plus leaves, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Jalapeno Peppers, seeds removed, chopped finely (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 cups chicken broth (replace with homemade vegetable broth for Vegan)
- Layer ingredients in slow cooker in the order given, adding the broth last.
- Do not stir ingredients.
- Cover and cook on high 4—5 hours or on low 8—10 hours until peas are very soft and ham (if used) falls off the bone.
- Stir and serve.
- This is my go to soup. I have made it several times and it always comes out hearty and delicious.