Memories of Fish Tacos Dance in my Head
I remember the exact day I had my first fish taco. I can tell you who I was with, where I was and what accompanied them. Some memories are meant to be stored away, to be pulled out and replayed whenever the mood strikes you.
The momentous occasion of eating fish tacos was a giant leap for me into the world of food. I discovered that day that I could move past the hamburgers, fries and macaroni and cheese, to embrace a new kind of eating.
The changes started slowly for me, but since that day I have never looked back. I braved raw vegetables, tofu and sushi and liked it! I ate escargot, sweet breads and delicacies I never would have dreamed of. It’s amazing where one little venture will lead you; the chain reaction from a leap of faith. The act of letting go of my fears and trying something new was the start of a wonderful friendship with whole food. It has served me well and I am grateful!
Fish Tacos with Grilled Pineapple Slaw and Chipotle Cream
Don’t be afraid of the fish taco. I know they might sound unusual but the combination of a warm corn tortilla, crunchy cabbage, creamy sauce and grilled fish is out of this world. I chose to “kick it up a notch” (thanks Emeril) with some smoky chipotle and a little grilled pineapple. A tasty whole food meal the whole family will enjoy.
- 12 oz firm white fish (Hake, cod, halibut, or sole)
- 2 slices of fresh whole pineapple, ½ inch thick (no need to core)
- 1½ cups cabbage, shredded
- 1 lime, cut in half
- ½ cup plus 1 tbsp sour cream
- ¼ cup diced onions,1/4 inch dice
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp sugar
- ¾ tsp sea salt, divided
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper, divided
- ½ tsp red pepper, divided
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ½ - 1 chipotle, finely diced (according to taste)
- 8 Corn tortilla's
- Heat grill.
- Season fish with ¼ tsp pepper, ¼ tsp sea salt and ¼ tsp red pepper.
- Squeeze juice from ½ lime over fish. Set aside.
- Place cabbage, onions and cilantro into a medium sized bowl. Toss to mix.
- Add 1 tbsp sour cream, juice from ½ lime, sugar, ¼ tsp red pepper, ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper, and ½ tsp sea salt. Mix all ingredients together. Set aside.
- Place ½ cup sour cream, chipotle, and cumin into small bowl. Mix well to incorporate all ingredients. Set aside.
- Prepare aluminum foil for grill and place fish on top of foil (prevents the fish from falling through the grate).
- Cook fish for 10- 12 minutes, turning once during cooking time, or until fish is white and flaky (time is dependent on thickness of fish fillet).
- At the same time the fish is cooking, place pineapple slices on open grill, the amount of time to caramelize is about the same time for the fish,10-12 minutes. Turn once half way through cooking.
- Warm corn tortilla's on the grill (if there is room), or wrap them in aluminum foil and place in the oven to warm at 350 for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Once fish is done, remove from grill and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Remove pineapple from the grill and allow to cool a few minutes for handling.
- Cut pineapple slices away from the core and chop.
- Add pineapple to cabbage mixture and toss to combine.
- Assemble tacos, evenly dividing the fish, pineapple slaw, and chipotle cream onto the warm corn tortillas.
- Serve immediately.
Fish Tacos with Grilled Pineapple and Chipotle Cream Shared with:
*The Deliberate Mom: Shine Blog Hop *Living Well Spending Less: Thrifty Thursday *Organaized 31: Inspire Us Thursday *Nancherrow Life at our House: Friday’s Unfolded *Happy Blessed Home: Family Fun Friday * Juggling Real Food and Real Life: Let’s Get Real *Create with Joy:Friendship Friday *The Cookie Puzzle: Party in Your PJ’s *Love Bakes Good Cakes: Freedom Friday’s *A Dish of Daily Life: Foodie Friday’s The Pin Junkie: Pin Junkie Pin It Party *The Diary of A Real Housewife: Friday Favorites *Kitchen Dreaming: The Weekend Social *In the Kitchen with Jenny: Foodie Friday’s *Captain America and His English Rose: The Pretty Pintastic Party *Colorado Springs Tours and Reviews: Friday Favorite *What’s on the List: Say G’Day Saturday *New Mama Diaries: Creative Style Link Up *2 Crochet Hooks: Snickerdoodle Sunday *Happy House and Home: Merry Monday *Mrs Tee Love Life Laughter: Mommy Monday *Create With Joy: Inspire Me Monday *Creative K Kids: Bloggers Brags *The Ultimate Linky: Pinterest Party *The 21st Century Housewife: The Hearth and Soul Blog Hop *It’s a Ginger Snap: Motivate Me Monday *Yesterfood: Treasure Box Tuesday *Creative K Kids: Tasty Tuesdays *The Shady Porch: Party on the Porch *The Crafty Wife: Wednesday Roundup * Crafty Allie: Worthwhile Wednesday *My Paper Craze: Creative Spark * Crafty spices: Wordless Wednesday *2 Crochet Hooks: Wined Down Wednesday *Lambert’s Lately: Create it Thursday *Sweet Haute: Sweet Haute Linky Party *Living Well Spending Less: Thrifty Thursday *Organized 31: Inspire Us Thursday
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”