Tell the truth, work hard, and come to dinner on time. ~ Gerald R. Ford
SUNDAY SUPPERS #4 – HEARTY BEEF STEW SLOW COOKER RECIPE
Gathering around the table at dinner time is the perfect opportunity to build relationship and instill values in our children. Make dinner an event and involve everyone in the process. Even the smallest can place napkins or carry a cup and in doing so come to feel valued as a working member of the family; a feeling that will be remembered and carried for a life-time. Take advantage of these valuable moments at dinner time to build up the family and strengthen your bonds.
Hearty Beef Stew made in the slow cooker couldn’t be simpler. Great recipe to start in the morning before heading out the door. The wonderful aroma will be the first to greet you when you return!
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cubed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 stalks celery with leaves, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tsp salt, divided
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¾ cup flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup red wine or an additional cup of vegetable broth
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomato
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 6 carrots, scrubbed and quartered
- 10 small red potatoes, scrubbed and halved
- Brown meat in hot olive oil in large dutch oven.
- Add onions, celery and garlic and stir until vegetables are softened.
- Stir together 1 cup vegetable broth and flour together and pour over meat mixture, stirring to combine.
- Pour meat mixture into 4 quart slow cooker.
- Mix together remaining broth, wine, tomato and seasonings. Pour over meat mixture.
- Place on top of meat and broth the carrots, onions and potatoes. Do not stir together.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove bay leaves and serve.
Recipe adapted from The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook – Beef Stew
Hearty Beef Stew Slow Cooker Recipe shared with:
Snippets of Inspiration: Weekend Wind-Down *Pebbles and Piggytails: Saturday Dishes *3 Little Greenwoods:Show me Saturday *New Mama Diaries: Creative Style Link-up *2 Crochet Hooks: Snickerdoodle Sunday *My Creative Days: Happiness is Homemade *Houseologie: Link it or Lump it *Create with Joy: Inspire Me Monday *The Squishable Baby: Monday for Mom’s *The Lady Prefers to Save: Merry Monday *God’s Growing Garden: Tuesdays with a Twist *Memories by the Mile: Treasure Box Tuesday * Lou Lou Girls * Mandy’s Recipe Box: Totally Talented Tuesdays * April J Harris: Hearth and Soul * New Mrs Adventures:Tasty Tuesday * Creative K Kids: Tasty Tuesdays *Simply Sweets: Party in your Pj’s * Crafty Wife: The Wednesday Roundup * Smart School House: Whimsy Wednesday *Craftie Allie: Worthwhile Wednesday * To Work with my Hands: Wake up Wednesday *Weekend Craft: Creative Spark *Lamberts Lately: Create it Thursday *Sweet Haute
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”