Grilled sourdough, crispy Bacon, fresh tomatoes and a spicy avocado cream help to transform an ordinary BLT sandwich into something outstanding.
The Cajun seasoning adds just the right amount of flavor to give an extra kick but not so much that it overwhelms the great flavors coming from the grilled sourdough bread and the juicy home grown tomatoes.
Unique to the sandwich is the bacon that has been woven together into a nice tidy square ensuring a bite of crispy bacon in every single mouthful.
Have you ever eaten a BLT when everything on the sandwich ends up falling in your lap? I have, and let me tell you it’s not pretty.
Enter Bacon Squares (lame name I know, but I haven’t been able to come up with anything better).
Woven together in a neat little package, the bacon helps to keep everything together. So you can enjoy the BLT in your mouth where it should be, and not in your lap!
- 6 slices peppered bacon, cut in half
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- green lettuce leaves
- 1/2 avocado
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 lg clove garlic, sliced
- 2 tbsp mayonaise, divided
- 3/4 tsp cajun seasoning, divided
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375. Prepare and baking sheet by covering with aluminum foil.
- A bacon square is made by weaving 6 half slices of bacon together to form a square.
- Form 2 squares onto baking sheet.
- Bake at 375 for 10 minutes, Turn bacon over carefully, continue baking for 10 minutes.
- Place butter in a small saute pan and melt over low heat.
- After butter has melted add garlic slices and saute until garlic begins to turn light brown.
- Remove garlic from the butter and discard.
- Add 1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning to the butter and stir until mixed.
- Mash avocado in a small bowl.
- Add 1 Tbsp Mayonnaise and 1/4 tsp Cajun seasoning, mix well.
- Lightly brush 4 slices of bread with Cajun garlic butter on one side of the bread.
- Place bread, buttered side down and bacon onto a heated grill.
- Cook 3 minutes or until bread is lightly browned and bacon is beginning to crisp.
- Turn bread and bacon and continue to grill an additional 3 minutes or until the bread is lightly browned and the bacon is crispy.
- Divide the avocado cream and spread onto two slices of the grilled breads non-buttered side.
- Layer bread with lettuce, sliced tomatoes, bacon and an additional layer of lettuce.
- Spread 1 1/2 tsps mayonnaise onto remaining two slices of grilled bread and place atop your BLT.
- Serve warm.
- Cooking the bacon in the oven before grilling helps bacon to stay together and reduces fat content in the bacon that can cause flare-ups when bacon is placed on the grill. Grill time for the bacon also crisps the bacon.
- Pay close attention to the sourdough bread when grilling to prevent burning as the grill can get very hot and it does not take long for your bread to burn.
[ois skin=”pure grace”]