Homemade Spiced Marshmallows lend just a bit of kick to Double Rich Hot Cocoa. Of course you can always leave the Cayenne out. The creamy, tasty marshmallows can stand on the own, but I recommend living a bit on the wild side. Give it a try, you just might like it.
- 3 packages unflavored gelatin
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Cayenne pepper, ground (optional)
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne, for dusting (optional)
- 1/4 tsp Dried orange peel, ground (optional)
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Combine the gelatin and 1/2 cup of cold water in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment.
- Allow to sit while you make the syrup.
- Meanwhile, combine the sugar, corn syrup, salt, and 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Raise the heat to high and cook until the syrup reaches 240 degrees on a candy thermometer. Remove from the heat.
- With the mixer on low speed slowly pour the sugar syrup into the dissolved gelatin. Put the mixer on high speed and whip until the mixture is very thick, about 15 minutes. Add the vanilla and 1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional) and mix thoroughly.
- Combine powdered sugar, cayenne and orange peel.
- With a sieve, generously dust an 8 x 12-inch glass baking dish with combined powdered sugar mixture.
- Pour the marshmallow mixture into the pan, smooth the top and dust with more confectioners' sugar. Allow to stand uncovered overnight until it dries out.
- Turn the marshmallows onto a board and cut them in squares. dust them with more powdered sugar mixture.
- Once dry, store in airtight container for up to 3 days.
- I found that spreading my marshmallow cream us much easier when I dampened my hands and then patted the cream into place.
- When cutting marshmallows, lightly butter the knife used for cutting to keep the marshmallow from sticking.
[ois skin=”pure grace”] Want to help Support PureGraceFarms? If you have enjoyed my blog and the recipes you find here, one of the ways you can help support Pure Grace Farms is by visiting my affiliate Amazon.com and making a purchase through the link on this site. Amazon pays me a small percentage from your purchases with no additional cost to you, and allows me to continue delivering great recipes and content to this site week after week. Thank you in advance for your support.
Join Amazon Prime – Watch Over 40,000 Movies and TV Shows Anytime – Start Free Trial Now
You might also like:
Todays Post: Give Yourself Away